Monday, October 15, 2012

When sunflowers bloom

Mr. Golden Sun
London, ON
September 2010
I've been trying to get better at the bring-flowers-home-for-no-reason thing, but I'll be the first to admit I've got a ways to go. It simply isn't always on my radar, or the practical me sees them at the last minute and thinks they're a little frivolous.

But the more I think about it, the more I come to appreciate that a little frivolity isn't necessarily a bad thing. That bringing flowers home "just because" isn't anywhere near frivolous and, if we're being honest with ourselves, is one of those tickets to that better life we're always searching for.

So, no, buying a dozen roses every other day might be a little ridiculous - especially given the fact that life is filled with all sorts of more pressing expenses. And I'm not about to explain to the kids that the pantry's bare because I just had to buy another bunch. And, no, I won't make them eat the blooms, either.

But an occasional bouquet tossed into the grocery cart can't be a bad thing for the soul. And if it teaches the little ones that a detour from the coldly logical path is called for every once in a while, then perhaps the sunflower pictured here will not have withered in vain.

Besides, the smile I got when I walked in the door made it more than worth it.

Your turn: What kinds of things do you do "just because"?

About this photo: We're winding down our fall colors theme. There's still a bit of time to share yours: just click here. We'll launch our next theme, drink up, at 7 p.m. Eastern. Oops, that's tonight: I'd better get cracking!

2 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

But an occasional bouquet tossed into the grocery cart can't be a bad thing for the soul.

Preach it, Carmi!
~

darlin said...

Carmi I believe this is far from frivolous; and seriously who doesn't love just because flowers? I occasionally do the same thing, but I buy them for myself... makes me wonder if my dog might appreciate a few just because flowers in the near future.

My oldest son buys his wife just because flowers every now and again and I think it's fantastic; my granddaughter will grow up knowing the love that is shared, not only through words but through actions as well.

Cheers.